It wasn’t just that I wanted to watch a movie that would “take me away” for an evening.
Rather, I thought long and hard about a movie that would accomplish the following:
- Show someone who had been through a much tougher time than I’m likely to ever go through;
- Show someone who had incredible perseverance
- Show someone who was willing to wait not “…a few months” for his problems to resolve themselves, but years!
- Show someone who had a plan, and took one forward step (no matter how small) each and every day
- Show someone who ended up living his very simple, dream life and gave the same gift to his friend.
Perhaps you have your own, and yes my favorite “business” movie of all time crossed my mind—Apollo 13.
But for all the reasons I mentioned, there was only one movie I could watch tonight: The Shawshank Redemption. There are parts that are so cruel I don’t really want to see them again, but I will because it’s worth it in the end.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”Andy Dufresne
Tonight, I’m going to get busy with a bottle of Kendall Jackson (am I the only one who thinks they’ve gotten smaller over the years?) and some Lays Potato chips and Shawshank. In fact, I have made it a rule to eat all the potato chips I want in all future global pandemics!